As part of the restoration and new build of the market Hall, for the Grade II listed 1875 Covered Market and 1924 Fish Market at the heart of the City, Preston City Council invited Professor Charles Quick of In Certain Places to work in partnership with the project architect John Bridge on creating new bespoke market stalls. Over the space of a year they held architecture workshops with students and stall holders, created models and brought various prototypes to the market for stall holders to test.
Up cycled boards from the original board market were used for the tops of the flexible nests of stalls which could be wheeled into place to suit the individual market stall holders requirements, allowing for different configurations each day. So retaining the temporary and transit vernacular architecture of the original board market.
60 pairs were manufactured by local company Smith Joinery who had originally supplied the components for the board market enabling that relationship with the place to continue.